Friday 15 February 2013

The Story

I have been threatening to do yet another blog - about gardening etc - for a long time. It will not be your regular gardening blog. There are several reasons for this, and I'll list them because it will help you decide whether you want to follow this one or not.

1. We live in a remote part of Ontario, 1800 feet up. Zone 4. Very short season. And we have 14 acres. Some of it is swamp. Yes, SWAMP, on top of a hill. We face quite different challenges to those of other gardeners. We can't do anything until the snow goes, probably April.

2. We are beyond organic, by which I mean we don't use any purchased products, not even those labelled organic. If we can't make it/dig it up/grow it ourselves, we don't use it. (N.B. this doesn't apply to hardware, we don't use flint tools). I consider most of the products sold to gardeners to be a racket.

3. We don't follow trends or do scientific soil tests or anything like that. We dig holes, plant stuff, weed it, water it, in a rather basic and very old-fashioned way. Seems to work out. Nature knows what it's doing.

4. We have animals, so we use manure. We eat those animals. We take no notice of those who object to this.

5. We are realistic about stuff like self-sufficiency in this latitude and climate, so we grow what we feel like, it's for pleasure rather than any heavy heavy agenda. We do know how to switch to survival mode, if we have to, but we're really not into that.

6. We don't take ourselves very seriously.

This year is a bit different. We have a wedding here in September, for #2 daughter. So we are landscaping the place, and I will be writing quite a bit about that. I have lots of plans, and my main objective is to make it look as pretty as possible as cheaply as possible, therefore the vast majority will be done from seed.

There will be plenty of photographs, and plenty of silliness. Feel free to join us.

4 comments:

  1. Where e'er you write, I will follow, my friend. I enjoy reading your literary adventures. Those about gardening should prove to be quite interesting--and I also appreciate that you trust Mother Nature to do her thing. ;) Quite respectful, indeed. :D

    I'm cogitating an article on Spring that is itching its way into existence. Hope to have it done before noontime (fingers crossed). ~ Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to write or I'd burst. I'm just glad that other people can find some use in it:)

      Delete
  2. Now you tell me! Just saw a mention of this on your other blog. I have added you to the blog list on my garden blog.It will be fun to follow your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be mostly dreaming for a few weeks:) But I have friends who are a real beginners, either to gardening at all, or specifically food fardening, and they have made special requests for "sensible tutorials". Not the usual rubbish.

      Delete